Fasting can include, but is not limited to:
• Full Fast: Drink only liquids (if you’ve never attempted a full fast don’t start here and be sure to consult a professional/physician before trying it)
• Daniel Fast: Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water and juice. Eat fruits and vegetables. (http://daniel-fast.com)
• 3-Day Intervals Fast: Full fast, Daniel fast, or give up at least one item of food in 3 day intervals
• Partial Fast: Examples include fasting for lunch or from 6am-3pm daily, or sunup to sundown, etc.
• Music, radio
• Cell phone use
• TV, movies, video games
• Watching the news
Something you Regularly Desire
• Coffee, Desserts, Sugar, Soda, Alcohol
• Sex (1 Cor 7:5)
• Sleeping in
Scripture References for Fasting:
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
14 Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?” 15 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”